The following year settlers, led by John Neilson Lake, arrived on the site of what is now Saskatoon and established the first permanent settlement.
The settlers travelled by railway from Ontario to Moose Jaw and then completed the final leg via horse-drawn cart as the railway had yet to be completed to Saskatoon.
In 1882, the Toronto-based Temperance Colonization Society was granted 21 sections of land straddling the South Saskatchewan River, between what is now Warman and Dundurn.
The aim of the group was to escape the liquor trade in that city and set up a "dry" community in the Prairie region.
From left to right: central Saskatoon featuring the South Saskatchewan River and three of its bridges; the Delta Bessborough hotel; the Saskatoon Fireworks Festival; Broadway Avenue; Wanuskewin Heritage Park; the University of Saskatchewan; the Saskatoon berry; Saskatoon skyline featuring the Broadway Bridge in foreground) is the largest city in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.
Climate data from University of Saskatchewan, in the inner city meets semi-arid criteria.
On the east side, Lorne Avenue demarcates east and west while Aird Street marks the north/south boundary, except in the Sutherland community where a separate east/west demarcation takes place with Central Avenue as the boundary (there is, however, no separate north/south divide).
Pike Lake and Blackstrap Provincial Parks are 40 km (25 mi) south of the city.
Street addresses are demarcated into north and south (for avenues aligned in those directions) and similar east and west (for streets aligned in those directions).
West of the river the demarcation line for north and south addresses is 22nd Street, while east and west are divided by Idylwyld Drive (north of 20th Street) and Avenue A (south of 20th).
Search for midtown dating:
The lowest point in the city is the river, while the highest point is disputed between the suburb of Sutherland in the east side and the Silverwood-River Heights areas in the city's north end.